Italia! Italia! Days 2-8

Ohhhh kay. I have been in Italy a little over a week now and so, so much has happened. I am going to try to catch up and tell you all about it and still put some pictures into this blog so you aren't bored.

After day one (Saturday), things got a lot more exciting. On Sunday, we spent the morning in Milan hanging out and getting accustomed to the area. We had met a couple of Americans in our dorm building who decided that they were going to celebrate the 4th of July with a picnic. Most of our group (13 of us) decided that we would join them at the park. We went and ate kebabs and some side dishes with them and even tried to set up a mini beer pong game. It was nice to celebrate the fourth of July even though there were no fireworks. Later that night, we had our "Welcome Dinner" at this cute little restaurant. I was extremely excited about this dinner as we all crowded onto the little bus. At dinner, we were served both white and red wines, fizzy water (similar to club soda) and regular water. Then the appetizer-esque courses started appearing on the table. We had fresh tomatoes and mozzerella, garlic bread type pizza (with no sauce), platters of meats like salami and different types of ham and then came our main dish. I am not sure what it was called but it was pasta with mushrooms and different leaves in it. It was really good. The side dish was rice with fish in it. I wasn't a fan of the rice as it was a little too fishy for me, but the pasta was really good. Following the dinner, they gave us dessert (I believe it was tiaramasu??) and followed that either with a cup of coffee (which is nothing like American coffee, rather an itty bitty shot of espresso) or a cup of cappuccino. By the time the coffee was coming out, I was completely full. Here is a picture from the dinner. Four of the other girls on the program (Sagan, ViLan, Allison and Marie as well as Mossimo, one of our Italian professors for the week).

When we came back, everyone went upstairs and we played a card/drinking game to better get to know each other. It was a really fun way to start off the trip.

On Monday, we found out that our Italian professor (that was supposed to teach us some key survival phrases of Italian) had not been booked or there was some misunderstanding, so instead of having to get up early for class, we got to sleep in an extra hour. I was EXTREMELY happy about this as I was still trying to catch up on some sleep from the tiring Germany trip. So anyway, we headed to the university around 9 in the morning and spent a LOT of time waiting for logistical stuff. Eventually though, we got our codes and such for the internet. Around 11, we got our ITALIAN LUNCH BREAK--which happens to be a whole 2 hours. Since we are pretty close to the city center, we are about a block away from all the shopping and sites. Of course, I took advantage of this! I bought a cute pair of shorts and a little cover. The shorts are extremely different than the style I would normally wear, but since I'm in Milan, I figured what better time to get more fashionable!? After walking around a lot of the shops, we headed back to the University for computer lab time. With this looming 10-pager, we looked for scholarly sources for a few hours. I am SUPER OVERWHELMED about my paper, as I feel like I am having a huge writer's block. Normally, it's not too hard for me to write papers, but this one for some reason, simply just doesn't want to get written! Monday night, we went to an old castle in Milano for the International Student dinner (yes, I'm an international student...weird..). It was really cool, sorta like VIP to walk into the castle (which no one else was allowed to do at this time of the day). They gave us some cool shirt and a pass for us to go to some really important places around Milan (such as to see the Last Supper, and the Berera). We stayed for a little bit and mingled. It was very informal but they had some snack foods and music which was nice. We met some international students who invited us to get drinks with them. So we followed them to some random part of Milan to get drinks (which I thought was the most beautiful part of the city that I have seen so far) and we couldn't find a place to get any. Most places were selling 12 euro drinks! (Which is ridiculously pricey.) So we ended up leaving and going back to the dorms. No problem to me, I was exhausted and decided to hang out and go to sleep.

Tuesday, our official first day of class. I found it to be really interesting. It was like "All you need to know about Italy in statistics in two hours". We talked about the economics, the school systems, colleges, taxes, recycling/trash/compost, socioeconomic issues, etc. It was a very interesting lecture and it was also EXTREMELY engaging. The professor spoke English very well and with a small accent. I feel like that class went by pretty fast. After the lecture, I went to McDonalds (yes, McDonalds) with two girls in my "Bella Suite", Laura and Chelsea. We were having great conversation at lunch and didn't think much of it until we got up to leave and we realized that Chelsea's purse had been stolen. She had set it on the ground RIGHT NEXT TO HER FEET and someone swiped it. Needless to say, this was awful. We started panicking a little bit, but I have to give Chelsea some credit, if that had been me, I would have been balling my eyes out. Well anyway, we called D. Wright and went back to the university to try to figure out what to do. The purse was never found but Chelsea was fortunate that her passport wasn't in her bag. For the afternoon, we ended up watching a movie in Italian that is called The Bicycle Thieves. It was an old movie in all black and white with English subtitles. The movie was a neo-classical? movie about life right after the end of World War 2. Needless to say, it was a very Debbie Downer movie.
Tuesday night, I attempted to work on my paper some more, but I keep getting sucked into watching Alias online (I know, I know it's bad). I can't help it though, all the channels here are in Italian (obviously) but you can tell that a lot of the shows/movies are American. It's interesting to watch a TV show with actors/actresses you know, with voice overs of Italians who sound nothing like the actual actors voices. Buut anyway, we also met this girl Francesca in our building on Sunday night (I forgot to mention) and she is absolutely FABULOUS! She is working at an internship for a really big named designer. She said her life is very similar to "The Devil Wears Prada" with Merryil Streep. She is from Italy and is pretty much staying in the building with us the whole month of July as well. We have been hanging out with her a lot which I think is cool because she speaks not only Italian, but English, French and Spanish. Talk about having a lot of languages under your belt!

Moving right along to Wednesday... all I have to say is, THANK GOD FOR MONKS... and THEIR BEER! We went to L'Abbazia Di Chiaravalle which is a 12th Century Abbey in Milan. This was where some Monks live and pray and stuff. You know all the historical stuff was a little hard to understand because it wasn't in English. It was really cool though. There were lots of paintings on the walls and the buildings and architecture of the area was beautiful! We walked around and snapped a lot of pictures. Also, did you know that the monks helped create like a moving sewer system so that they could dry up areas of land that would have been marshes and made the soil very fertile and easy to use for crops and stuff? I didn't! But anyway, here are some of my pictures from the Abbey!





On the bus back from the Abbey, me and some of my Bella Suitemate's ran into Francesca on the bus. We decided that we were all going to go out into center city Milan that night for a "White Sale". Francesca explained that it was one night of the year where all the shops stayed open until 2 in the morning. We decided to try going but when we got their most of the shops were already closed. Dispite this, we got to see the Duomo light up at night! Here is a great picture of the group of us!

Thursday was a really fantastic day! We woke up early and went to a REAL ITALIAN MARKET. We got there and there was fresh fruit and vegetables and fish EVERYWHERE! It was so awesome. Our class assignment for the day was to buy fresh ingredients at the market to cook our own Italian family dinner. Somehow, I got put in charge of the tomato sauce for our Chicken Parmigiana and pasta dinner. My job was to buy enough tomatoes to make the sauce. Now, let me tell you, I have NEVER made anything from scratch before, except chocolate chip cookies where I used the wrong type of sugar and the cookies didn't flatten and not even my DOGS would eat them, so I was beyond terrified to make the sauce. I found some really great, really fresh tomatoes and bought about 10 for 3,33 Euros. I also looked around the market as they were selling shoes and dresses and all kinds of trinkets. I found a cute dress that was pretty inexpensive. After the market, we came back to the dorms to work on our papers (which I am still trying to finish) and then we were scheduled for a tour of the art museum in Milan called the Berera.
The Berera has lots of important paintings (unfortunately, I don't have any more than three pictures from there because taking photos of the artwork was not allowed). But either way, it was great! The tour guide spoke English and took us through some very famous and important paintings such as The Dead Christ and Raphael's Betrothel of the Virgin. It's hard to believe that I'm in Italy, seeing these paintings in REAL LIFE when most people only ever get read about them or see pictures from a text book. I really feel fortunate to be able to experience these things.

After the museum, it was back to the dorms to make our family dinner! Everything turned out FANTASTICALLY. The sauce tasted amazing, the chicken and pasta was delicious and all of the fruit and vegetables hit the spot. I think our family dinner may have been the best dinner on the trip so far (at least one of my favorite). We all enjoyed each other's company and then had girl talk in the Bella Suite with Francesca! Boy was that a HILARIOUS TIME! I must say, girls of all cultures are very much the same when you break it down. It was absolutely a bonding experience :-).

Friday was Mossimo's lecture on Italian Media. I found this lecture to be very helpful for my paper on Berlusconi (the current Prime Minister and television station owner millionaire). I am having such a hard time with the paper. It's so frustrating and overwhelming and I just want it to be finished. I hope that by the end of today, I will have eight pages written out as it's due this Thursday at 6 pm. Once this paper is done, I feel like I will lighten up and enjoy Milan a little more. I so should have done it before I left! Oh well! C'est la vie! As the French would say! Not much happened on Friday. Came back and worked on the paper and planned for the weekend. Chelsea, Heather, Theresa, Stephanie and I decided we would be going to Switzerland and Lake Como for the weekend. And made some rough plans.

Saturday, it turns out that things don't always go as planned when traveling! All of the hostels in the Swiss Alps were booked! (Which was extremely frustrating). We hopped on a train at around 11 in the morning and headed for Lugano, Switzerland. It was cheaper to buy each ticket individually, which ended up working out well. Three of us were sitting together and Stephanie and I volunteered to each take the individual tickets in separate cars on the train. Luckily on my train, I met a group of Canadian guys who asked me a question in English! I must have stuck out like a sore thumb for the one guy to realize I spoke English. Turns out, these guys were on a Eurotrip and were staying in Milan for a few days. They had decided to take the train to Como and were going to be returning to Milan that night. They got off the train 2 or 3 stops before me and I turned to looking out the window as we sped through beautiful towns practically on the water of the different lakes. This landscape was simply something out of a movie! When we got to Lugano, this was the view that we had....





It was absolutely stunning! Lugano was a little frustrating at first for many reasons. One, we were carrying all of our stuff and it was pretty humid and we couldn't find anywhere to stay. It was hard to read signs and NO ONE spoke English. I am not even sure what the language was there. I saw things in German, French and Italian but I have no idea what anyone spoke. We wandered around frustrated for a good hour and a half trying to decide what to do. We couldn't figure out the bus system, we had no money on our pre-paid cell phones and we didn't know where to eat or even sit down. It was unbelievably expensive too! The money of Switzerland was sooo colorful.



Finally, we were getting so annoyed and snappy with each other that I said, "Fine, let's just make this a day trip and try to do something fun." This is when we found the lake and the paddle boats. Stephanie and I decided that we wanted to do the paddle boats and we didn't care who was coming or who wasn't coming. Somehow though, everyone ended up wanting to go (despite the fact that Heather and Theresa couldn't swim, the decided to be brave and do it anyway!). This was the best decision of the day (in my opinion). We walked over to Burger King, changed into our bathing suits and went back to the place with the paddle boats. Chelsea, Stephanie and I got a paddle boat with a water slide on it and Theresa and Heather got a regular paddle boat (fully equipped with life jackets). As soon as we got on the lake, all of our stress and anxiety and grumpiness, melted away! It was seriously one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen in the entire world. The water was so blue and their were mountains all around us. It was so relaxing and peaceful.. simply unreal!






When we finally paddled out far enough, we decided to go for a swim! The water was AMAZING! Crisp and freshwater and beautiful! The slide was great too! Here is a picture of us on the slide!



When we got back off the lake, we were in much better spirits and decided to get some Gelati (one of my favorite things from Europe) and relax. We even watched some guys playing chess with these giant chess pieces. I like gelati so much, I had two!

My favorite kind is the Straticella or Frugila. I probably spelled them both wrong. But the straticella is similar to chocolate chip ice cream and frugila is strawberry. Seriously, the U.S. needs to import some of this stuff because it's amazing!

By this time, we decided we were ready to head back to Milan. When we got back, I decided to see if I could get in touch with the Canadians and see what they were doing for night life in Milan. We got in touch and they told us about this AMAZING bar/club called Old Fashioned Bar. They apparently had the hook up with someone who worked there. When we got there, all the ladies got in for free. This club was beyond any expectations I could have had. Everyone looked so good and the dancing was interesting to say the least. I had a few too many drinks but none the less has a great time. Let me tell you though, Europeans have no problem eating each other's faces in public. It was somewhat disgusting but also hilarious too. People were making out so hard in the plants! I thought the poor trees were going to break! Haha. But anyway, it was a really good time.

You know what they say though, toooo good of a time on Saturday night, means not such a good time on Sunday morning! Story of my life! We WERE going to get up and go to lake Como for the day on Sunday, but we just didn't quite make it out of bed early enough. I ended up sleeping off a hangover most of the day until Francesca came to our room and invited us to watch the world cup with her and some guys also living in the building. We decided to meet them to get some pizza and then head to the basement level of the dorms to watch the game. It was somewhat of a boring game to me. I was cheering for the Netherlands (or so I thought) but I went the whole game thinking they were blue and Spain was orange! Talk about embarrassing, when Spain scored and I was cheering! Ahaha. So turned out, I was actually cheering for Spain the whole time! Whatever though. It was a great experience and I met a lot of boys who didn't speak English too well. After that, I just headed to bed!

As you can see, my trip so far has been wonderful! I need to get better about posting daily instead of these loooonnnng posts. Hope you enjoyed it if you made it all the way through!

Ciao!

Comments

  1. The way you write had me laughing out loud because I can totally see you saying this stuff! It's a great blog and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! You'll have to take me to the Old Fashioned Bar.....but we won't drink as much :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Vatican City, I understand you are very religious, but closing the Sistine Chapel on Sunday is bad for tourists!

Karaoke, The Last Supper, and other fun things I am trying to remember

Walking in Bangkok is like One Giant Game of Frogger