Rant Blog--If you don't want to hear me complain, are easily offended or simply think I have nothing to complain about-- continue on to next few blogs

Okay, so I am going to start with today (Monday), and rant because there comes that time in every traveler's journey that they just want to punch everyone in the face for any little thing or break down and ball like a five year old because of the most miniscule problem. Well, after four weeks and 5 countries (not to mention multiple cities), this is that time for me.

First off, everything is annoying me, and I mean everything. For starters, what is happening RIGHT THIS SECOND. I came into a study room to 1. Get some peace and quiet 2. write these blogs and 3. take some time for myself.. and (of course).. in walks the cleaning lady. Now don't get me wrong, it's totally cool that she wants to clean and all, but she walks into the room and her ANNOYING ring tone (that echos through the room) goes off, she picks it up after the 5th or so ring and continues to talk in as loud of a voice as possible, in Italian, inside the study room. Stuff like this has been getting to me all day today and yesterday. I mean please shut up. I came in this room to STUDY/WRITE IN PEACE. At least go into the hall or something.

Which brings me on to my second issue. For all the times that Europeans say that Americans are rude, let me tell you, I'm not particularly impressed with their manners. As the above, thats just simply inconsiderate. Other than that, they bump into you in public and/or push you, look at you and keep walking. There is no "Escusi" or I'm sorry, they just don't seem to care that they just rolled over your foot with their 50+ pound suitcase or that they kicked the back of your leg with their uber expensive (totally overpriced) designer brand stilettos. Then on the overnight train to Rome (in no air conditioning mind you), they shout at each other in the middle of the hallway outside of your compartment at 3AM! Ummm hello! People are trying to sleep! Seriously. Grrr. Don't get me wrong, not everyone I have met has been this way but a good deal of them have. Of all the Europeans I have met, I would say the French and Francesca (who is Italian) have been the most polite, hospitable and down right fun to hang out with. (I can't count the people in Germany, because they were all American--but they were really fun to hang out with too). But back to my point, the next time one of these Europeans say that Americans are rude, I might simply go off on them.

Annnd today. In class. We had this Italian professor, who seemed nice, but I honestly was so offended by her. She started her lecture on Italian fashion (well sort of on Italian fashion) and directed a question to the class (I thought) stating, "So tell me what you know about fashion". The class was completely quiet for probably 1-2 seconds and then she makes eye contact with me and goes, "What are you sleeping?" Um hellooooo my eyes ARE OPEN stupid. Seriously, and on top of that, we lose credit in class for falling asleep. Which I didn't do. So I responded, 'No, I just don't know anything about fashion" (mostly because I don't care about designer brands and really shallow and self absorbed issues like this). Buuut I am pretty sure I lost class credit for the day, because she chose to pick on me, when the question was addressed to the class. I'm probably going to talk to Dr. Wright about that as I was definitely not sleeping within the first minute of the lecture. Plus, it's like, you don't know me, I'm taking NOTES OF YOUR LECTURE and you ask me if I am sleeping. So offended. Maybe she was trying to make a joke, I don't know, but after that, I lost complete interest in anything she had to say and most of what she said I didn't agree with anyways. Today is definitely just one of those days.

Finally, the last part of my rant. After 4 weeks, I am officially homesick. Don't get me wrong, I really like Europe, but I can feel myself getting sick (both the glands in my throat are swollen and it hurts to swallow) and I can't go to the doctor (well I mean I could but one visit is 90 euros). It's not that I am like ready to rush back to my life in VA or anything, but I miss being able to get around an area I know or read things in English or even eat food that I actually like. I have been unimpressed with the Italian pizza so far which is really sad because I was looking forward to it. I also miss people from home (you all know who you are) and when you aren't feeling good physically, all you want to do is lay in bed and watch movies. Yet, today, I definitely don't have time to do that and even if I did, ALL THE MOVIES/TV SHOWS ARE IN ITALIAN, so therefore, pointless. Seriously, I have been on the verge of tears all day, and even cried for like half a minute in class after that stupid professor. But I may just be off today. I had a great time in Rome and will be writing about that in about... 5 minutes.

Comments

  1. You didn't lose points ;o) I know you weren't sleeping. Sorry it's been one of those days. We all have them and they suck!! It's ok to be homesick, I'd be worried if you never were at all. Hang in there...we'll chat later tonight!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Vatican City, I understand you are very religious, but closing the Sistine Chapel on Sunday is bad for tourists!

Karaoke, The Last Supper, and other fun things I am trying to remember

Walking in Bangkok is like One Giant Game of Frogger